Anagrams can be great fun to decipher.
Imagine getting the children to combine that fun with the joy of learning their spellings!
These FREE task cards will help you do that.
An anagram is a word or phrase made by rearranging the letters of a different word or phrase. They can be great fun to decipher.
So, for example, you can have:
Dormitory = Dirty room
Astronomer = Moon starer
Listen = Silent
We have created two sets of Task Cards with words from the Year 3/4 National Curriculum Word List set out as anagrams. They look like this:
How To Use Task Cards
Here are a few ways you might use them:
- Pairs can work together to solve cards and then quiz each other.
- They can be used as an enrichment or revision activity for children who finish their work early.
- A group could share the pack evenly between them and then take turns to solve and spell the anagram word on their card. An egg timer will help keep the game moving.
- You can use task cards with simple traditional board games. The child has to solve a card before they can take their turn.
- As each card features a different example of an anagram, children can choose and vote for their favourite; or the funniest, the cleverest, the most helpful.
- Can they create anagrams of their own for other words they are using such as maths words or words linked to their current topic?
Anagram-azing Task Cards
There are two sets of cards, both with answer sheets and a blank sheet for children to work on. You can get yours by clicking below. This will give you two PDF documents containing a total of 64 Task Cards.
Mike and David from Goodeyedeers.